Montessori Approach: Home Responsibilities for Kids

I got a lot of requests following my blog post on Teaching Kids Independence for our list of Home Responsibilities. I could not upload it right away because I had to ask permission from Abba’s Orchard where Jia goes. 🙂

A brief background: I school-hopped when I was scouting for schools for Jia. I have a friend who teaches in UP Diliman’s Family Life and Child Devt program and she gave me a list of schools around our area that she knew were good. I checked out almost all the schools plus some more. Then my friend Ting (Directress of Speciabilities) told me to check out Abba’s Orchard. She said it was a good Montessori school (and not just like those who use the name Montessori for the sake of). By then, we have narrowed down our school choices to Learning Tree, Multiple Intelligence School, and Miriam but I still asked J if we could check out Abbas (thank God I have a supportive husband!). One school tour was all it took to convince J to attend the Parents Orientation. After the Orientation, we were hooked. There was no question about where we were going to send Jia. (I think J was hooked when the owner of Abba’s explained to us the concept of the binomial cube (a + b)2 using blocks.) Montessori is an amazing approach! It is progressive education at its best. It gives the child the responsibility for her own learning. I also love the fact that the teachers of Abba’s undergo a two year training before they can handle students on their own as the teacher’s mastery of the Montessori approach is very crucial.

In a Montessori school, kids have what they call Practical Life Exercises. These are daily activities and includes sitting down properly, carrying sharp objects, rolling mats, carrying a chair, sweeping, cutting vegetables (Jia tells me that her Casa 3 classmates cuts up cucumber and carrots and serve it to all the kids in the class), etc.

Needless to say, to be “successful”, the home and the school must be aligned when it comes to values, responsibilities, etc. So I researched and read about Montessori and have adopted their approach at home (well, our home environment still needs a lot of improvement but I think I have done fairly well). 🙂

Anyway, here is Abba’s Orchard’s list of Home Responsibilities for kids. Just click each “page” and it will open up a page where you can save it by right clicking. Print it out, tape it to your bedroom wall, magnet it to your ref door, make a kid’s chart using the list… put it to good use. 🙂 Don’t forget to read the Introduction. 🙂

Favor! If you are going to save any one of the pages, please leave a comment just so I know the time I spent scanning and reducing the pages was put to good use. 🙂

HR-reduced1

HR-reduced2

HR-reduced3

HR-reduced4

HR-reduced5

HR-reduced6

HR-reduced7

HR-reduced8

HR-reduced9

Post Signature

Comments

1. says

Wow, under “Hazards to Child Development,” “K-12 and Bridging Program” is included! More reason to explore Montessori, though we could never afford to send our kids to a true-blue Montessori school! Thanks for sharing this, Clarice! 🙂 God bless you and your family!

• says

Hi Tina!

I was also surprised by that so I asked their school head. The K-12 program per se is very much aligned with the Montessori approach. Montessori’s planes of development theory says that development is divided into 4 planes: 0-6 yrs old, 6-12 yrs old, 12-18 yrs old, and then 18-24 and beyond. Eksakto yan sa K-12 program na graduate ng 18 years old. It’s the Bridging Program that they are concerned with. Bridging program is what some schools do and the child is automatically placed a level higher.

You can do it at home, Tina! Super daming mommies who use the Montessori way in homeschooling. Kaya mo yan, ikaw pa! 🙂

God bless!

2. Pam says

Thank you for sharing this Clarice! I’ll definitely try to implement it with my almost-2yo 🙂

I just wanna say that I appreciate the stuff you post (not just this particular one) because motherhood certainly feels like a jungle sometimes. There are days when I just wanna shout out to the world “tama ba tong ginagawa ko?!” Hearing from and reading about other families eases the stress.

• says

Hi Pam! You’re welcome!

Ang hirap no!? 🙁 Pero, you know, all moms feel that. I have learned that all moms second guess themselves. It’s part and parcel of motherhood because you want to give the best. 🙂

Ingat! 🙂

3. Eve Magat says

At last! I’ve been asking K’s therapy teachers for something like this. I guess we’re not on the same page (kasi hindi pa sila mom) kaya hindi nila ako mabigyan.
    Thank you very much Clarice!

• says

You’re welcome, Eve! 🙂 I also have a structured home environment schedule, you want? Chances are you won’t use it as is but it might give you an idea how to make one for K. 🙂

• Eve Magat says

Oh, surely yes! Yes! 🙂 That would be really helpful. You may send it to my email. Thank you very much, Clarisse! 🙂

4. Margarette says

This post is very helpful!!! Thank you so much! Hopefully we can start incorporating these…

• says

My husband attended MMCS Maria Montessori in Pasay (though they have since moved to Merville) and he told me that the place never felt like “school” and he had fun learning since most everything was at his own pace.

• says

Hi Nicole! My daughter feels the same way! My son is so excited to start school in June, ni hindi namin kelangan i-psych for school because he enjoys it there so much!

5. Mommy Milka says

Thank you Clarice! I’ve been eyeing Abba’s Orchard in Evia for three years now. But the 100k++ TF is just way too steep for us 🙁 Your children are lucky that you and J could afford it 🙂

6. Mommy Milks says

Thank you Clarice! I’ve been eyeing Abba’s Orchard in Evia for three years now. But the 100k++ TF is just way too steep for us 🙁 Your children are lucky that you and J could afford it 😎

• Beverly Ann S. Tinzon says

hi. your blog helps. i’m interested in having a copy of structured home environment schedule too =) thank you

7. Wilrose Brigoli-Sumugat says

Hi clarice!

Thank you very much for sharing! i’m also interested in the copy of structuredhome environment schedule too 🙂 thank you